PowerfulAdvice is brought to you by the Public Utility Commission of Texas to educate and inform Texans about energy conservation. Efficient use of energy will lower your electricity bills and reduce the strain on the state's electric grid during the hot summer months. You will find no- or low-cost changes that will reduce your electricity consumption and resources to help you make energy efficient upgrades to your home.
- Turn down your thermostat to 68° in the daytime and 55° at night or when you're away from home
- Avoid using large appliances from 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Run full loads in your washing machine and dishwasher.
- Use the cold water setting on your clothes washer.
- Unplug electronic devices you're not using.
- Weatherize your home and seal air ducts.
- Wrap your hot water tank with jacket insulation.
- Go to www.powertochoose.org to see if you can save money by switching to a lower cost retail electricity provider. Your choice of electric provider does not affect the reliability of your electric service, the frequency or duration of outages, or the time it will take to have your electric service restored if an outage occurs.