Communications Certification and Licensing
Pay Telephone Frequently Asked Questions
- Who should register a PAY TELEPHONE?
- Anyone who provides PAY TELEPHONE service?
- What is the fee to register?
- There is no registration fee.
- How long does it take to receive a PAY TELEPHONE permit?
- Approval can take up to a month before a PAY TELEPHONE permit is issued.
- How often do I have to renew?
- Your renewal must be received before July 31st of each year.
- I have already registered as a pay telephone provider, but I have updated information I need to add. How do I submit the updated information?
If you have already registered as a pay telephone provider and need to update address or pay telephone numbers and county locations etc., you must send this information on a cover letter with your company name, PP0 tracking number, and project number.
Submit one original and three copies to:
Public Utility Commission
Attention: Central Records
P.O. Box 13326
1701 N. Congress Avenue
Austin, TX 78711
If you are submitting pay telephone numbers and county locations, it must be submitted on two identical diskettes/CDs - View the format here.
- Can I fax my registration form?
- No. 4 copies of your completed registration form must be filed with the Central Records Division of the PUC. That address information can be found in the upper left corner of the registration form.
- What if I forget to renew my permit?
- Your permit will be considered inactive and may result in the local telephone company disconnecting service from your pay telephones. You will have to reapply for a new permit.
- What is considered confidential information on the registration form?
- Your social security number and PAY TELEPHONE number(s) is the only information considered confidential, but must be filed as confidential material pursuant to Procedural Rule 22.71(d).
- Who can help me file confidential information?
- Our Legal & Enforcement Division will be able to answer questions you may have regarding filing confidential information - 512-936-7260.
- What are the assigned PAY TELEPHONE numbers?
- These are the telephone numbers assigned to the PAY TELEPHONE.
- What is the format for Payphone Numbers and County Locations?
- Tab once between the 10 digit number and the county name and Enter (return) after each number and county - Do Not Use Spaces.
Nothing else should be in this file except the 10 digit numbers and name of the county location. Save the file as your Login name - (example) PP010010.txt. USE A ZERO AFTER PP AND NOT THE LETTER O.
How to list county names:
CORRECT - Travis
INCORRECT - Travis County
Make sure the name of the county is spelled correctly. View a list of Texas counties.
- What if there is a problem with my registration?
- If any information is not complete or questionable, two copies of your registration will be returned and you will have to re-submit an additional 4 copies of the registration to the Central Records Divison.